Eric Lucas on 22 Feb 2013 09:56:52 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Solaris backup/restore

I've been doing some research on flash archives and they might work.  We don't have a second Sun box available but we do have nfs shares available on a Linux server.  Unfortunately there is a lot of data so I'd have to flarcreate, flar split, and then burn all the pieces to DVDs.  Restoration is the reverse I'm guessing.

I may have to resort to dd from the console with the system quiescent.  I'm not happy with that because dd backs up empty space so I'd have to pipe it through gzip.  Then I'm stuck with splitting the file into DVD-sized chunks.and the restore seems like it might be a nightmare.

Fortunately, I'll get to talk one-on-one with a Solaris admin soon so I'll have some expert help.

I'm really impressed with mondo rescue for linux - it's an automated way to essentially image your system to one or more DVDs, flash drives, or iso images.  It speaks sshfs and nfs too.

If you select the 'nuke' option when restoring then the disk is partitioned and formatted as it was at the time of backup and then the files are restored from archives.  It worked perfectly every time I tested it.

Now, if there were only a mondo rescue for Solaris :-)

Eric

On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 3:57 PM, <mdecheser@comcast.net> wrote:
If you had a 2nd Sun system, you could leverage flash archives (flars).  Flars, in combination with any supported incremental backup solution of your choice, are a very good solution to quickly restoring your OS partitons on a system.  It does require a 2nd Sun system on the same subnet to manage the flars and restores.

MD