John BORIS on 11 Apr 2013 08:14:36 -0700

Re: [PLUG] RAID for swap?

matt,
When I setup a system that has RAID I try to have separate drives for
the OS and a Separate drive for the Data portion. If possible. You need
a RAID controller that will handle this and the drive space and $$$. On
my Ubuntu setup on my HO server I have a 147gb RAID10 for the OS and
then two 300gb RAID10 for my data. I had a RAID 5 setup go south on me
once where I lost everything. Not sure why but since then I try to stay
with that model. Again it comes down to what you have available and what
your server is doing.

My home machine (Vista 64, I know this is a LINUX list) is just running
RAID 10 on the SATA drives. No room for any more drives. Hope this
helps.

As for the SWAP I never thought about putting it anywhere else except
where the OS put it during install which on my HP is on the 147gb
arrary.

John J. Boris, Sr.

"Remember! That light at the end of the tunnel
Just might be the headlight of an oncoming train!"

>>> Matt Mossholder <matt@mossholder.com> 4/11/2013 11:06 AM >>>
If your swap disappears, you're probably looking at several programs
crashing, and maybe even a kernel panic. If you want to ensure
availability, I would use one of the faster RAID methods for swap.

With regards to partitioning, you're going to need /boot mirrored
between
the devices, and the boot loader installed on both disks. You might be
able
to get away with having /boot reside in /, as long as you aren't
utilizing
LVM or anything else that requires a initrd/initramfs.

    --Matt

     --Matt