Rich Freeman on 28 Feb 2014 05:05:33 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Comcast encrypted Collegeville PA 2014-02-26 or so?

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 4:44 PM, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:
> On 02/27/2014 10:35 AM, Carl Johnson wrote:
>> Beware of copy protected channels when using that combo.
>
> That is part of my objection, the other part being the pure principle of the
> thing; that they are deliberately limiting our options and making it hard to
> be "free."  (And maybe messing with us, just because...)

Yup - drives me nuts.  I'm using the HDHomeRun cablecard tuner with
MythTV on FIOS and it works just great, except for premium channels.
So, I don't subscribe to premium channels.  It doesn't even work on
the free weekends, so I don't participate in those either.

The whole subscribe to a super-expensive channel so that you can watch
one show per year thing never appealed to me in the first place.  I
don't mind paying for content, but they have to come up with something
remotely reasonable (like not waiting a year for it, not paying $360
for one show, not needing special software to play it, etc).  It isn't
like all their restrictions keep it from going up on torrent sites 15
minutes after the show ends (I doubt the production houses actually
transcode their video as fast as the pirates do).

But overall I was quite happy switching to cablecard.  It REALLY beat
playing around with tuner boxes, PL232s (and getting them to have
consistent device names), etc.  Plus the drivers for the Hauppage
cards seem buggy because once in a blue moon I'd get panics and such -
all that went away after I removed the card.

Rich