Matt Mossholder on 28 Feb 2014 07:51:52 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Comcast encrypted Collegeville PA 2014-02-26 or so?

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 4:44 PM, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:

Yes, I actually have the http://www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-HDHR3-CC-HDHomeRun-CableCARD-tuners/dp/B004HKIB6E/ which is fully supported in Mythbuntu 12.04, as far as I know since I don't have the actual cable card to use.

Good to know that fixes the "channels moving" thing which as you know caused me great pain a few times, even after you helped me sort it out the first time or two.  I can't decide if I think they do that on purpose just to mess with us, or if it's really just that stuff evolves and gets refactored.

From what I have seen it is that they are standardizing the channel mapping within geographic regions, so that e.g. HGTV in Pottstown is the same channel and QAM parameters as it is in Collegeville.

On 02/27/2014 10:35 AM, Carl Johnson wrote:
> Beware of copy protected channels when using that combo.

That is part of my objection, the other part being the pure principle of the thing; that they are deliberately limiting our options and making it hard to be "free."  (And maybe messing with us, just because...)

So far, I haven't had an issue with this. I receive all the channels in my tier without problems. I don't have any premium channels, though, and I wouldn't expect them to work with MythTV. You'd need a Windows Media Center for that.

     --Matt