JP Vossen on 28 Feb 2014 11:26:02 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Cord Cutting Options

On 02/28/2014 10:09 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
What are the best options for phone/video content/etc for those
interested in cord cutting these days?

Everyone else covered TV/Internet, though I'll note my MythTV + an antenna is thread on that as well:
http://lists.netisland.net/archives/plug/plug-2014-01/msg00022.html

For phone we've been using Vonage for years because I did NOT want all my eggs in one basket and it's that much more of a pain to switch. They have been good, though they do not have any kind of decent call blocking (which I find mind-boggling and suspect payoffs) and depending on skill level there are cheaper alternatives.

Specifically, based on conversations with Jonathon I'm seriously looking at voip.ms which is basically personal outsourced Asterisk. The site reminds me of SchedulesDirect.com; plain, no frills, designed by and for geeks, really functional & flexible, non-Mom/Pop friendly. When time permits and I do something, I'll post about it. IIRC you can either hook an ATA into the on-premises POTS system, or just go SIP all the way.

Later,
JP