JP Vossen on 28 Feb 2014 11:46:28 -0800

[PLUG] Netflix & FiOS (was Re: Cord Cutting Options)

On 02/28/2014 11:03 AM, Eric at Lucii.org wrote:
[...]
One concern is that Netflix streaming through Verizon is simply
not usable apparently due to their ongoing fight with Cogent
(or other, more sinister reasons.)  I've heard that using a VPN
service gets around that so that adds $5 or $10 a month.

I'd like to hear more about how this is working for people as we're considering Netflix streaming via a Wii and/or "smart" TV with an app.

There is also the recent news that Netflix and Comcast cut a deal to fix this. Perhaps that will force Verizon to do the same?
http://news.slashdot.org/story/14/02/23/218223/netflix-blinks-will-pay-comcast-for-network-access

Another ouch :-(  What is a good VPN service?  I know of cotse.net
but would like to hear of other's experiences.

And I'd like to better understand how to do that from a Wii or TV that I can't get into. The default gateway for both devices is my internal Firewall, and I'm pretty sure I could set up a VPN from that to my Debian Linode. But what do I route over it? Just your basic Netflix netblock and/or list of IPs? If I have the lowest tier Linode, would this exceed my "2 TB Transfer" limit? (Yeah, I know, how high is up? But I have no clue how much bandwidth Netflix streaming uses. https://www.linode.com/faq.cfm#what-if-i-go-over-my-monthly-network-data-transfer).

Thanks,
JP