gary on 4 Mar 2014 09:13:31 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Using IPv6

=> On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 11:25 AM,  <gary@duzan.org> wrote:
=>>    As far as I know, VZ has not rolled out IPv6 in our area (or any
=>> area,
=>> as far as a quick search can tell), and it is unclear what it would
=>> look like if they did. So the point is moot for now. However, if they
=>> do it in a sensible way, it shouldn't be much different than if you had
=>> a tunnel and your own router, so I would suggest starting with that.
=>> You can use a Linux box for a router, if you'd like, and either SIXXS
=>> or Hurricane Electric would work as a free tunnel broker.
=>
=> Can you point me to any configs where you run a tunnel gateway on one
=> box, and then manage DHCP/DNS/etc from another?  Ideally the tunnel
=> should change its IP from time to time.

   I have a NetBSD box at home acting as the tunnel gateway and an
off-the-shelf residential router handling IPv4/DHCP/DNS. I have an HE
tunnel, so I had to configure the VZ router to send IP protocol 41 to
my tunnel box. (I configured the tunnel box with a static IPv4
(internal) address so I don't have to worry about its address
changing.) HE has a URL-based service to handle tunnel reconfiguration
when the VZ IP changes.

=> I've yet to see anything that combines any of this with PXE booting,
=> or with running DNS with dynamic IPs, or running DHCP (if needed) from
=> a box other than the gateway.  I certainly haven't seen anything where
=> you have multiple gateways on a subnet.

   I use EUI-64 with my IPv6 subnet prefix and network id to derive IPv6
addresses based on the MAC address of the box, so I can just do static
DNS entries. (If VZ doesn't give you a fixed prefix, the whole exercise
would likely be a waste of time, anyway.) I don't see how PXE would be
affected by having IPv6 around. DHCPv6 exists, but I have never used it
or looked into it much. I'm not sure what you mean by multiple
gateways. If you just mean IPv4 vs. IPv6, the routing is separate, so
having a gateway for each is not a problem.

=> My goal isn't to get IPv6 working but to start thinking about what is
=> necessary to get it working so that I'm prepared.  I can certainly set
=> up an IPv6 gateway on the network (likely via a VM) even if it can't
=> actually send packets anywhere to test things out, or I could set it
=> up with a tunnel.

   I've done both, and both are educational.

=> It just seems like the whole IPv6 space is very immature for Linux
=> distros.

   It depends on what you want it to do, I suppose.

                                   Gary Duzan

=> Rich