john boris on 13 Mar 2014 12:52:34 -0700

Re: [PLUG] How to Archive Data for 20 Years?

If you think about it the Vic-20 and C-64 had zero moving parts. So if it was kept in a place that was not damp and in the box nothing much could go wrong, unless a lightning bolt hit close to your house which might do something to it.

The C-64 was my first home unit but cut my teeth on a PDP-8 or maybe it was a PDP-6. There were two in the lab. One with a Decwrriter and the other you had to toggle the stuff in on the front panel.

We also had one unit that cut the tapes for our NC controlled Bridgeport in the Shop.

Ah the Wobegone days of waiting for computer time on the Terminal. Or handling that deck of cards and hoping you didn't drop them on your way to the card reader.