Casey Bralla on 7 Dec 2014 14:12:27 -0800

[PLUG] No TV Over the Air?

So I'm starting to try to cut the cable TV cord, and I bought a nice Samsung
smart TV on Black Friday.  Imagine my horror, however, when I attached a brand
new (amplified) RCA set-top antennae and got ZERO channels.

Thinking I must have done something wrong, I searched the web
(http://antennaweb.org/Stations.aspx?Address=41+Mystery+Rose+Lane&City=West+Grove&State=PA&ZIP=19390&Housing=S&Accuracy=6&Height=6&Obstructed=False&StationList=&Lat=39.8097188&Lon=-75.9003868
) and found that I'm basically on the outer edge of digital TV reception
because I'm 38 miles from downtown Philly and 41 miles from Lancaster.

I can't believe that prior to digital TV and cable, people in my area had to
erect antennae towers to get TV.

I could install a real antennae in my attic, but that would entail running
antennae wire, and then I'd have to choose between Philly and Lancaster
stations.

How does this square with y'all's experiences?  Is it expected that I'd have
so much trouble getting reception at 40 miles from the source?   OK, I know
that line-of-sight is always preferable for TV & radio, but this seems
ridiculous.

Anybody have any comments or suggestions?
--

Casey Bralla

Chief Nerd in Residence
The NerdWorld Organisation