Eugene Smiley on 15 Dec 2014 14:16:44 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Looking for help with Ubuntu 14.04 on an HP 380 Gen8 server

You don't neccessarily need the VBox GUI. You can manage you VBoxes from the command line using VBoxManage, http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch08.html .

There are alternative front-ends, as well, but I've never used any of them, http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch01.html#frontends

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 10:22 AM, john boris <jborissr@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks to Gavin I followed this link:
https://medium.com/@mikemetral/my-experience-upgrading-from-ubuntu-12-04-to-14-04-5e6fac849ea3

Although very ugly I now have my GUI desktop.
I just copied aside the .vnc/xstartup file I was using and used the one that was in the link above and viola!!! I have my graphical desktop back again.

Thanks Gavin