Rich Freeman on 24 Feb 2015 08:07:34 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Forced FIOS upgrade?

On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 10:31 AM, Mike <coolgeek1987@yahoo.com> wrote:

> The technician stated that the line needed to be upgraded to FIOS.  At first
> I agreed to a migration order.  But the thought subsequently occurred to me
> that they may be using this as an excuse to backdoor her into a service that
> she doesn't need - and will cost her more money.

I'm pretty sure they're trying to sucker you.  They're really eager to
ditch the copper as it costs more to maintain and doesn't have all the
upsell potential.  They also have to offer competitive service over
copper but not fiber I believe, so getting rid of the copper means
eliminating the ability for competitors to use the last mile.

I think they've been trying to change things, but I believe they are
still required to maintain your landline.  If you plug a phone into
the box outside the house and don't get a dialtone, I believe they're
required by the PUC to restore your connection free of charge,
whatever it takes, even if it means running a new wire all the way
from the CO.

But, there are a lot of telecom types on the list who probably could
speak more authoritatively.

--
Rich