Keith C. Perry on 8 Jul 2015 11:46:43 -0700

Re: [PLUG] ntp

I've never had a problem putting ntpdate in cron.  While I have had major problems assuming ntpd did what makes sense to what more sysadmin's want.

I'm guessing YMMV based on workloads.  I don't have problem with timesync generally.  I actually never even set it up on current system.

You all just created work for me.  Cheers for that  :D

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Owner, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167
www.daotechnologies.com

----- Original Message -----
From: "JP Vossen" <jp@jpsdomain.org>
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Sent: Wednesday, July 8, 2015 2:40:55 PM
Subject: Re: [PLUG] ntp

Ohhh, that's...bad...

Running `ntpdate` periodically can be dangerous and is the WRONG answer
if the server hosts any kind of database or anything time sensitive
(even arguably just logs).  Large jumps forward in time can be bad
enough, but if it adjusts backwards it can really be a problem.

Just use NTP, do not use ntpdate [1].
https://www.redhat.com/archives/nahant-list/2005-December/msg00009.html

Aside from the general wrongness of the answer, `ntpdate` is deprecated:
	http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Dev/DeprecatingNtpdate

That said, VMs can be tricky.  VMware tools has a "keep in sync" option
but even they recommend using NTP:
	http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1006427
	"VMware recommends using NTP instead of VMware Tools periodic time
synchronization. NTP is an industry standard and ensures accurate
timekeeping in your guest..."

I can't speak to other virtualization, but I'm positive solutions exist
if NTP isn't the right answer.

Once in sync NTP should not "slip" and if it does it should certainly
not slip more than 1,000 seconds ([1] and `man ntpd`, then search for
-g).  See also `ntptrace` `ntpstat` or `ntpq -pn` depending on distro
flavor and age.

[1] You used to use `ntpdate` at boot time to get the system clock close
enough that NTP would keep it in sync.  Probably some distros still do that.

NTP itself will refuse to adjust larger than the "panic threshold,"
which is 1000s by default.  It used to not be to clear about why it
wasn't working, and ntpdate used to be more clear.  That has hopefully
improved, but I can't swear to it.  My NTP, virtual or otherwise, Just
Works.

On 07/08/2015 02:35 PM, Eric Lucas wrote:
> About 2 years ago I worked, briefly, with some systems using ntp.  Turns
> out if the time is off by some small amount (less than a minute IIRC),

1,000 seconds per the man page I was just looking at in Debian 7.

Later,
JP