Keith C. Perry on 14 Aug 2015 09:43:26 -0700

Re: [PLUG] FOSSCON communication ops

Good point !

One of the things I like about the Baofeng's is that there is nothing to do to achieve this.  In fact, in CHIRP there is a default config for FRS/GMRS and MURS.  Just open those up and copy them to your config.  You'll have to do some name editing since the Baofeng screen is only 7 chars but once you're done you're good.

Most important thing is to set the power to the lowest setting which actually is still to high for FRS...

Which is why have have a little "mini-duck" antenna  :)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Owner, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167
www.daotechnologies.com

From: "Guo Yixuan" <culu.gyx@gmail.com>
To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Friday, August 14, 2015 12:36:01 PM
Subject: Re: [PLUG] FOSSCON communication ops

On Aug 14, 2015 12:08, "Keith C. Perry" <kperry@daotechnologies.com> wrote:

> This might not be the right place to talk about this but Chris (paden) and I were talking about this and I figured I would just put it out there.  I know Jedi Jim is lurking too...
>
> Are we going to have a net up for FOSSCON?  To operations cases come to mind here:

Great idea!

> general communication for FOSSCON operations
> opportunity to show and talk about amatuer radio to attendees.  This includes pointing out to people that they do not have to be licensed to purchase the radio and ANY decent vhf/uhf ham radio is going to be worth getting because you can use it for  FRS and MURS without a license.  If someone has or wants a GMRS license they can also use the same rig.  Point being, they can listen in on amateur stations and even if they don't license (or get licensed right away), the radio is still useable.

It's worth noticing that some vhf/uhf radios don't allow transmitting on FRS/MURS bands by default (to my surprise). It's better to check the spec before purchasing one.

eg., for TH-F6A, some electrical mod is needed: http://w4zt.com/mods/thf6/mods.html

> I want to credit Jim for getting me to first consider the Baofeng's last year.  I didn't want to put out the money to fix or replace my Yaesu so this sub $100 was perfect to get me back on the net after a very long time being away.
>
> Anyway, this is first full FOSSCON so I'm not sure how things have operated before but I thought I would ask.
>
> 73, N3QQZ clear
>
> :)

By the way, I'm quite new to amateur radio. I was encouraged by my college friend and took the exam, but didn't try much after getting my callsign (KC3CES). Anyway, I'm looking forward to play more with radio if time allows.

Cheers,

Yixuan