Rohit Mehta on 29 Aug 2015 12:48:05 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Securing Web Site for External Traffic

OpenSSH VPN or even SSH tunnelling (similar to keith's suggestion, but just tunnel the http traffic rather than run vnc) should do what you want as long as you can SSH to your firewall machine and you don't need to worry about securing your http services.  OpenVPN will give you better performance with slightly more investment in setup time.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SSH_VPN

If data security is no concern, and you want to put stuff on the public internet, I'd recommend periodically grabbing state copies of that data and putting it on the public Internet ie dropbox or something.

Of course you did say you wanted it to work on ios and android.... so i think openvpn is the only option and from my experience it's a bit of work.