Casey Bralla on 31 Aug 2015 17:37:24 -0700

Re: [PLUG] How to Design a Great Web Site - My Actual Solution

Kyle, I think you are correct, and I basically followed your advice (prior to
even hearing it! <grin>)

I already had several low-usage blog hosts running WordPress, so it was easy
to add another instance for myself.   But WordPress, even with the bazillion
different themes available, just didn't give me what I wanted, look-wise or
function-wise.

If I were going to have multiple people update this beast on a regular basis,
my approach would crash & burn the minute somebody else tried to update it.
But for a solo effort (with editorial guidance from my group), it came
together pretty well.

BTW, here is the final result for those who are interested:

http://www.AvonGroveTaxpayers.org

Since these are 99% static pages, with a very definite structure and links to
establish, I chose to bite the bullet and work with standard HTML and css.
LIke you said, I made templates and built on that.   I also used "includes"
which simplified headers, menus, and footers.

--

Casey Bralla

Chief Nerd in Residence
The NerdWorld Organisation