Kyle Taylor on 30 Aug 2015 19:10:04 -0700

Re: [PLUG] How to Design a Great Web Site

I think there are some good points for discussion, but I think the first place to start is to decide the functionality of the site.

If you are the sole author making informational pages for the group, such as something like the PLUG website, then I think a framework such as Wordpress is overkill. A few professional, well designed templates and add some simple static HTML, that you said you know, used for bold, italic, fonts, tables and the like, then you don't have any vulnerabilities in the aforementioned systems or a custom created solution.

On the other hand, if you need visitor comments/discussion sections, multiple authors creating pages, changing themes, plugins and database driven websites, then a current system or a custom solution would be best. Since it doesn't seem you're prepared for a custom solution, then a community driven project, such as Wordpress, would be most secure for your needs, with a little bit of studying Wordpress or another system and consistent monitoring.

I also think of risk/reward, if you do go with a Wordpress type solution, if you just keep updated as others have mentioned and keep good backups, then when needed you can pull the plug and fix and recover from any issues. However this is based on your user base and reliability needs, which is a whole other subject.

Kyle T.