Keith C. Perry on 31 Aug 2015 09:01:49 -0700

Re: [PLUG] How to Design a Great Web Site

Another +1 AGAINST Wordpress...

First, I'm majorly biased against the product.  I've never liked the way it was arranged- Joomla is a much better product and Drupal, even though it has a steeper learning curve, is probably if the most flexible CMS all around.  After some recent Wordpress consults I've really come to despise it.

Second, when I have my web apps / site hat on, I have my own LAmP (Linux-Apache-mod_perl-PostgreSQL) standard.  If I'm writing the code, I'm writing the code- not just assembling a bunch of stuff in CMS.  I sub that stuff out now since there are people better suited than I that enjoy doing the basic web site projects.  A sidebar to this is that Wordpress was designed for blogging and 90% of the requests I've gotten for were NOT for blogging.  In other words, most of the time people need Joomla or Drupal but they want Wordpress because its the buzzword that everyone knows.  It can play CMS but a butter knife can also be a flat head screwdriver-  its NOT the best tool for the CMS job.  Its hard to get people to understand that so I don't bother anymore.

Third, awhile back the writers of PHP said that Wordpress was doing things that were simply "not right" and generally "wrong" from their point of view in terms of how Wordpress was implemented on their framework.  That's pretty damning.

I'm sure its gotten better but thankfully I haven't been asked by any of my designers for any major Wordpress deployments.  I'm not sure I would let a production site go live on my shared platform- VM or maybe LXC to help isolate it.

Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Owner, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167