Steve Litt on 14 Dec 2015 10:09:51 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Looking for dvd shrink software

On Mon, 14 Dec 2015 12:11:29 -0500
john boris <jborissr@gmail.com> wrote:

> Chris,
> I have the video in an mpg file. So I am looking for something that
> will shrink it to fit on a DVD-R disk. That mode has a 2gb size
> limit. I don't have multiple DVDs.

Just to make things clear:

* Are you trying to shrink an mpg file so it can be recorded *as data*
  on a DVD-R, or are you trying to make your mpg file into a DVD that
  you can insert into your home entertainment center's DVD player and
  play the video?

* What do you mean by "That mode" has a 2gb size limit? What mode
  exactly?

* When you say "I don't have multiple DVDs", do you mean drives, or
  media? If media, why not buy more. If drives, what does that have to
  do with the issue?

If you happen to mean that iso9660 has a 2GB limit on a single file,
you can use truncate and mkudffs to create a UDF image file that can be
loop mounted as a DVD-sized UDF filesystem that can handle
astronomically sized files (much bigger than the 4.7 GB capacity of a
DVD). Copy the desired file to the UDF mount, then unmount it, then use
growisofs to record the UDF image on the DVD.

CLARITY ALERT:::: On your reply, please interleave post your answers
right below the questions so everyone knows *exactly* what the
situation is, and meaning doesn't get lost in generic pronouns.

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt
November 2015 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist