brent saner on 20 Dec 2015 16:09:21 -0800

Re: [PLUG] My biggest fan

This isn't a "this might fix this" so much as an "HP does some weird things with their component detection and flashing usually fixes when hardware is swapped".

Additionally, the days of yore in which flashing was extremely risky have passed; that hasn't been the case aside from rare anecdotal cases for at least 7 years if not more (provided one takes proper precautions).

On Sun, Dec 20, 2015, 18:50 Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:
On Sun, 20 Dec 2015 17:20:15 -0500
"Rich Mingin (PLUG)" <plug@frags.us> wrote:

> Yeah, sometimes when the EC/BMC detects an error like that, which can
> be occasional and unlikely to self-correct, it'll register a
> persistent fault, and one of the easiest ways to clear that is to
> reinitialize the BMC/EC, and one of the easiest ways to do *that* is
> to reload it's firmware.
>
> So yeah, reflash same version firmware and see if it clears.

I wouldn't be caught dead reflashing the firmware to get rid of an
instrumentation error. I'd rather live with the error.

When you reflash, you run a not insignificant risk of bricking your
mobo, which, for practical purposes, often means you're cheaper
off replacing the RAM and CPU too. It's much safer if you're on a UPS,
but still, do one thing wrong, and you're bricked.

I'd be willing to turn off and unplug the machine, and remove the coin
battery for a night, to see if something resets. But I'd need a much
better reason than fixing a harmless instrumentation error to reflash a
bios, and I'd *certainly* not do it on a "maybe this will fix it" basis.

SteveT

Steve Litt
November 2015 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist