JP Vossen on 28 Dec 2015 14:09:02 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Off-topic Rant: Don't Buy Brother Products!

Short: I like the MFC-9840CDW unit I have:  it has lasted, does
everything (including duplexing), and the scanner works over Ethernet on
Linux with XSane and gscan2pdf.  On the other hand Linux support (which
was a reason I bought it) has been very hit-or-miss and seems to have
declined, and the only printer drivers that work reliably for me are
32-bit only proprietary.

Next time I might go back to HP, but anecdotally (here and elsewhere)
they aren't what they used to be either.  Heck, I bet I could fire up my
early 1990's LaserJet4 and it would still work fine after sitting for 8
years.

Long:
I have a Brother MFC-9840CDW multi-function laser device I got in
2008-12-02 from Newegg for about $500.  I'm on my 3rd black and 2nd
color toner cartridges (x3).  Last time (2013) I bought a TN-115BK it
was $68 at Amazon, and the color ones were each $80-$90, so that adds up.

I had liked Brother because they supposedly had official Linux support
and the consumable parts are broken out differently than HP.  Toner is
(more-or-less) just toner, not toner and a drum, etc.

They do have Linux support but it's hit or miss and the printer drivers
that actually work are 32-bit only.  The newer and/or F/OSS drivers take
forever to print, sometimes simply fail to print and sometimes print
hundreds of pages of PostScript instead of the PDF I wanted.  The older
32-bit drivers Just Work, at the expense of 32-bit libs crufting
everything up and hours of hair pulling until I realized that missing
32-bit libs was why the damn driver only worked on some computers.

Like everyone else they definitely play games with toner levels and
other consumable parts, but if you search you can find hack-arounds,
like these:
*
http://www.amazon.com/review/R25UD9AMGZ374D/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B000SDY14K&nodeID=172282&store=electronics
*
https://andrewmemory.wordpress.com/2010/09/16/brother-mfc-9840-toner-reset/
* http://www.stephenwagner.com/?p=318
*
https://andrewmemory.wordpress.com/2010/09/16/brother-mfc-9840-toner-reset/
*
http://blog.tonerboss.com/how-to-fix-errors-on-brother-mfc-9840cdw-mfc-9440cn-and-brother-mfc-9650/

Aside from the drivers the biggest problem I've had is the dreaded and
useless "Print Unable 32" error which I finally fixed (I swear this is
true) with WD-40.  It seems that some bit of foam ages and gets sticky
so a "Density door" sticks [1].  There are a ton of "take it apart and
put tape on it" articles on the web [2] but you have to really
disassemble a lot and I didn't feel like it.  At around 80 lbs it's a
pain to move for one thing.  But WD-40 eats foam, unsticks and lubes
things, right?  So WD-40 over top and BEHIND the density sensor door
worked for me (and I have a pic of the bloody density door if anyone
needs it).

[1]
http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f109/solved-brother-mfc-9840cdw-print-unable-32-error-592096.html#post3471562
[2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Bob34TLrPQ,
http://www.fixya.com/support/t24050354-print_unable_32,
http://www.fixya.com/support/t24750478-print_unable_32_fix

My unit emails me a maintenance summary every Sunday night.  Faxing Just
Works, even over Vonage (before) and VoIP.ms (now) trunks that
officially don't support faxing.  The flat-bed and duplexing document
feeder scanner work great (with Brother XSane drivers) over Ethernet and
can even email you the results.

It has a web interface, which is a mixed blessing since it's a huge
potential security hole and it's quite clunky.  It does NOT have NTP,
and there does not seem to be a way to programatically set the time,
which drives me nuts.  You have to go in using a web browser, with an
admin password and JavaScript enabled, to set the damn time.  It does
have a telnet (yikes) interface too, but I never figured out how to set
time from that and...telnet?  Yuck!  See potential security hole.

Here are some stats from that email.  Most of those MP "jams" are
mis-feeds for printing Christmas card envelopes, which I stopped doing
since it was a tedious PITA and now I use gLabel (awesome!) for a couple
of pages of labels and I'm done.

12/27/2015 00:00

<Machine Info.>
    Model Name : MFC-9840CDW

<Page Counter>
    Total Page Count : 15807
      Color : 3899
      B&W : 11908
    List/Fax : 11
      Color : 0
      B&W : 11
    Copy : 814
      Color : 36
      B&W : 778
    Print : 14982
      Color : 3863
      B&W : 11119

<Parts Life>
    Drum : 16505pages (98%)
    Belt Unit : 7380pages (16%)
    Fuser : 64193pages (82%)
    Laser : 84193pages (86%)
    PF Kit MP : 48057pages (98%)
    PF Kit 1 : 89182pages (90%)

<Replace Count>
    Drum : 1				# Hacked, not replaced
    Cyan (C) Toner : 2			# TN-115C
    Magenta (M) Toner : 2		# TN-115M
    Yellow (Y) Toner : 2		# TN-115Y
    Black (K) Toner : 3			# TN-115BK

<Total Pages Scanned>
    ADF(SX) : 859
    ADF(DX) : 170
    Flatbed : 600

<Total Paper Jams>
    Jam MP Tray : 38
    Jam Tray 1 : 5
    Jam Inside : 3
    Jam Rear : 6
    Jam Duplex : 1
    Jam ADF(SX) : 1
    Jam ADF(DX) : 16

So for anyone who made it this far, I guess YMMV.  Shutting up now...

Later,
JP