Rich Freeman on 8 Feb 2016 19:13:04 -0800

Re: [PLUG] VPS account with lots of storage?

On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 3:29 PM, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:
> You almost certainly do NOT want to host your email server in EC2 as those
> IPAs are blacklisted everywhere.  There are ways to do it that have been
> discussed in the list before, search the archive or wait for someone else
> (Fred maybe, I forget) to cover that again.

I've been using Amazon SES (Simple Email Service) and it has been
working fine.  It just works as an authenticated SMTP relay, and I
forget the details but I think you just have to demonstrate control of
the domains you send from.  The fees are minuscule, and the TOS are
the typical no-spam ones as far as I'm aware (and it is intended for
commercial use).  You could still host a mail server there, just set
it up as your outbound relay.

You can also use it for inbound email, but you're not going to do that
with a typical MTA/etc.  They can run a program for you when an email
comes in, or dump it in an S3 bucket, or push notifications.  Amazon
has a host of these kinds of hosted services which let you assemble
applications on their infrastructure without actually paying to run a
bunch of machines 24x7.

--
Rich