Steve Litt on 20 May 2016 18:15:31 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Looking for help with Chrome on lubuntu 14.04 trusty i386

On Fri, 20 May 2016 17:22:59 -0400
Michael Leone <turgon@mike-leone.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 4:23 PM, Steve Litt
> <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 19 May 2016 16:01:07 -0400
> > Michael Leone <turgon@mike-leone.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I never understood why it's only Linux lists that like insulting
> > > other OSes. I'm on a couple Windows lists for work, and I never
> > > see any similar remarks about other OSes, Linux or otherwise.
> >
> > Here are some reasons:
> >
> > Windows comes from a vendor that has repeatedly tried to destroy the
> > GNU/Linux OS I use every day.
>

> Certainly not since Satya Nadello has been CEO, which is 2 years ago
> now. And they couldn't have been very effective in all the years they
> were trying, as Linux is more widespread than ever.
>
> From calls on congress to make GPL
> > illegal, to namecalling, to inserting booby traps into their code
> > so it couldn't interact with their competitors' software, and
> > pissed all over our nation's antitrust law. Predatory and extreme
> > use of our nation's copyright law.
> >
> > Frankly, I've never understood why *everyone* doesn't say bad things
> > about Microsoft and the products they offer.
> >

> Part of your argument is that namecalling is bad when MS does it, and
> not bad when others do it?

Namecalling?

* They violated our antitrust laws.

* They sued the pants off of financially strapped school districts,
  basically for mistakes, not theft.

* They installed sabotage code to lock out competitors.

* They attempted to have Linux made illegal.

You call the preceding "namecalling", and lump with my saying things
like "Microsloth" or "Windows Weenie?" or "M$"?

Namecalling My Aunt's Hat! When I petition congress to forcibly remove
Windows 10 from your computer and make it illegal, *that's* the time to
draw an equivalency between Microsoft and me.

> OK ...
>

> As I said, let's stop pointing out flaws and failings of other OSes.
> It doesn't gain anyone anything.

:-)

That would have been a good idea just before you objected to a random
comment that forced-install Win10 was malware, and then came back with
a gripe about Linux lists. The rest is history, and quite predictable.
For the reasons I stated earlier in the thread.

:-)

SteveT

Steve Litt
May 2016 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21