Steve Litt on 16 Sep 2016 03:06:42 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Replacement mailing list idea

On Thu, 15 Sep 2016 19:12:41 -0400
JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:

> On 09/15/2016 12:34 PM, Rich Kulawiec wrote:
> > Two points.
> >
> > First, Mailman 2 already integrates with Usenet.  Mailman 3
> > integrates with a web-based forum.
> >
> > Second, mailing lists are, at this point, so vastly superior to
> > *any* web-based discussion system, that I can't imagine why anyone
> > would even consider the latter.  Yeah, that may change -- and
> > Mailman 3 is part of experiments in that direction -- but the
> > feature gap right now is enormous.
> >
> > Mailing lists (and Usenet) have a number of significant advantages
> > over everything else:
>
> <giant snip>
>
> Haven't thought about this much, have you?  ;-)
>
> Seriously, I like the push and UI arguments the most, but that's all
> great stuff and I agree 100%.
>
> Later,
> JP

Me too. I was going to add that Rich's 9 points should be documented
somewhere and pointed to every time the discussion comes up.

I'd like to add an observation. The average forum (or whatever modern
name they're given now) is dying on the vine, with hardly any posts.
Why? Because by the time you log into the thing just to see what's new,
you've lost interest. On the other hand, email just shows up in the
proper mailbox (what Rich calls "push").

SteveT

Steve Litt
September 2016 featured book: Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
http://www.troubleshooters.com/28