Rich Freeman on 16 Sep 2016 04:10:11 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Replacement mailing list idea

On Fri, Sep 16, 2016 at 6:06 AM, Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Sep 2016 19:12:41 -0400
> JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:
>
>> On 09/15/2016 12:34 PM, Rich Kulawiec wrote:
>> > Two points.
>> >
>> > First, Mailman 2 already integrates with Usenet.  Mailman 3
>> > integrates with a web-based forum.
>> >
>> > Second, mailing lists are, at this point, so vastly superior to
>> > *any* web-based discussion system, that I can't imagine why anyone
>> > would even consider the latter.  Yeah, that may change -- and
>> > Mailman 3 is part of experiments in that direction -- but the
>> > feature gap right now is enormous.
>> >
>> > Mailing lists (and Usenet) have a number of significant advantages
>> > over everything else:
>>
>> <giant snip>
>>
>> Haven't thought about this much, have you?  ;-)
>>
>> Seriously, I like the push and UI arguments the most, but that's all
>> great stuff and I agree 100%.
>>

> Me too. I was going to add that Rich's 9 points should be documented
> somewhere and pointed to every time the discussion comes up.

Sure, but did anybody propose moving to a web-based forum in the first place?

I suggested looking at Discourse since my understanding is that it is
not limited to being a web-based forum.  As Rich pointed out, Mailman3
apparently also has a somewhat similar feature set.  Does that mean
that we shouldn't consider using Mailman 3?

--
Rich