Keith C. Perry on 19 Feb 2017 19:59:12 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Laptop recommendations

I tend to be partial to HP hardware for laptops but my current primary unit is a ASUS Zenbook.  As you know, laptops tend to have quirks and so with that in mind, I would rate it 3.5 / 5.  There are some annoyances with it (keyboard shortcuts for the screen backlight do not work so you have to adjust it via the battery indicator however, the keyboard backlight controls do work) but I'm happy with it overall.  If you like touchscreens, that also works well.  The most irritating thing about the unit is not actually with the unit but with the power supply.  ASUS gives you this brick that is almost impossible to plug into any power strip that doesn't have a socket or more of clearance.  It is the stupidest thing I have ever seen for a laptop power supply so you will most likely need to keep an extension cord handy or get an aftermarket power supply.

I'm running Kubuntu and an update a couple of months ago be make the sleep function unstable (e.g. sometime you can't wake the unit back up from sleep- in recent weeks this seems to have gotten better) but that one has always been a common issue I see so it doesn't bother me because I have a way to work around it and eventually it does away as drivers catch up.  This could be a deal breaker for some people.

Good luck in your search.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Owner, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167
www.daotechnologies.com

----- Original Message -----
From: "Doug Stewart" <zamoose@gmail.com>
To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 19, 2017 10:28:59 PM
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Laptop recommendations

I too am in the market for a laptop now that I'm changing to a new job and have to send the MacBook Pro back. I'm frankly fed up with Mac OS and am looking to get something I can dual boot with Win10 (you know, for games!) and preferably a RHEL derivative.

I've looked at the Asus Republic of Gamers series but can't seem to find any info on Linux compatibility. Anyone have recommendations in those respects?

--
Doug Stewart