JP Vossen on 9 Mar 2017 19:52:54 -0800

[PLUG] LVM on the raw disk (was Re: Best tool to image a dynamic disk?)

From: "Christopher Barry" <christopher.r.barry@gmail.com>
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Sent: Thursday, March 9, 2017 12:55:21 PM
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Best tool to image a dynamic disk?
Personally, I like to use the raw disk with LVM. There really is no
need to partition it at all, and it simply adds an unneeded layer and
constraint. Installers often make you think it's required, but it is
not.

On 03/09/2017 07:02 PM, Keith C. Perry wrote:
> +1 on this. For LVM, encrypted disks or DRBD work, I use the disk device.

OK, but if the installer wants to make you, how do you get around that? I'm specifically thinking of the Ubuntu and Mint installers, but...whatever.

I've hacked around the Mint installer to force it to do encrypted RAID-1, but the process really, REALLY sucked and I never want to do that again. (Side note that the Mint installer lacks RAID support also really sucks.)

Later,
JP