Steve Litt on 16 Mar 2017 23:58:11 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Avoid Arvixe at all costs!

On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 23:09:14 -0400
PaulNM <plug@paulscrap.com> wrote:

> Contrary to what others may be saying, there's nothing wrong with
> having multiple backups per day. One (of many) use cases is a
> database that gets edited by multiple people throughout the day.

Yes! If what I said in any way was construed to mean multiple daily
backups are bad, that's not what I meant. With rsync plus cp -al you
could do 20 backups in a day, and the only additional disk space you'd
use is for files that changed during the day.

I personally have one other aspect to my backup strategy: Extremely
short term backups. I have a shellscript called bupsky that copies the
current directory and the whole tree below it to a datestamped copy,
and of course I can erase the copies after they're a few days old.

And of course how I really *should* be doing those short term backups
is with git, but I'm just not good enough at it yet to trust it that
completely.

An advantage of bupsky and git is you only back up stuff you've been
using that day, so they're very fast (like a second or less).

SteveT

Steve Litt
March 2017 featured book: Troubleshooting: Why Bother?
http://www.troubleshooters.com/twb