Gavin W. Burris on 6 Jun 2017 06:29:42 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Video Editing Software

Yeah, wow.  Lightworks looks pretty neat!  Watching the quick start video...  iMovie is still light years ahead in usability.

Maybe with Lightworks and Bitwig I can ditch my Mac next upgrade?

Cheers.

On Mon 06/05/17 04:36PM EDT, Charlie Li wrote:
> On 05/06/2017 16:33, Gavin W. Burris wrote:
> > It's great to see Blender recommended!  I have a background in computer animation, did all my senior animations in Blender.  The interface is better these days, but I like to think of Blender as the Vim of computer animation.
> >
> > These days, I can't see it getting any easier for video editing than the latest iMovie on Mac, especial if you are asking for a relative.  I am biased towards Linux, but would still recommend getting a Mac for iMovie.  Even a used Mac from the last four years, if you're on a budget, is going to be a frustration-eliminating experience.  Simple things, like being able to import the video (without re-encoding) directly off the camera to a thumbnailed event timeline makes a huge difference in usability.
> >
> I was actually recommending Lightworks, which not only has a Linux
> version for a while now, but feels similar to iMovie/Final Cut Pro.
> Blender's not exactly for the faint of heart.
>
> --
> Charlie Li
> Can't think of a witty .sigline today…

> replace local-part with vishwin for off-list communication)

Gavin W. Burris
Senior Project Leader for Research Computing
The Wharton School
University of Pennsylvania
Search our documentation: http://research-it.wharton.upenn.edu/about/
Subscribe to the Newsletter: http://whr.tn/ResearchNewsletterSubscribe