Rich Mingin (PLUG) on 7 Jul 2017 16:55:32 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Fios Quantum Gateway Router / Cabling type

Using the provided router or your own equipment (RG6 or ethernet into the premises) is a consumer choice and can be setup either way remotely. Only one connection will be "hot" at any time, though.

While you must have a Verizon router to get their VOD services and program guide, it is not otherwise requried. In my case, I like the 802.11ac access point built into the Quantum gateway, but I don't like that Verizon retains remote root access, which is denied to the end user, and they control firmware updates. When I had a set-top box, I compromised by having the FIOS gear connected just behind my router, without local network access. The RG6 MoCA is bidirectional, so if the FIOS gateway has internet access via the ethernet WAN connection, the RG6 is "hot" for the set top boxes.

Now that I no longer have any set top boxes in house, I've been keeping the FIOS gateway on it's own VLAN. If I pick up another refurb AC-87R at Microcenter, I'll probably unplug the FIOS gateway entirely. I don't trust it.

Now my internet comes out of the ONT on CAT5E outdoor rated plenum, into the basement, into a dual port NIC that's passed through to a PfSense VM. The output on the other port goes to my big switch, so my cabling topology is pretty flat, which I like.