Keith C. Perry on 9 Jul 2017 18:49:02 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Booting, UEFI, BIOS

Now Brent has me all subconscious about top posting don't blame me, blame Zimbra!

I wanted to point out that I think Charlie has a good point too.  While it is true legacy boot is exactly
that and UEFI is the new standard, there are also few reasons to have very large system or boot volumes.  The evolution of this push for UEFI I would assume, as a practical matter, comes from the desktop user world where people may only have a single disk (hopefully partitioned).  This is changing too since small SSDs are getting to be pretty cheap but most regular folks don't care to optimize their systems.

In the server world, you're typically going to have system drives that are not even 1Tb so legacy boot is just fine.  The biggest exception in the server space is large distributed / parallel file systems where each OSD (object storage device) or "brick" could be fairly large.

I'm not saying UEFI should not be learned and adopted going forward but I think context and perspective matter.

Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Managing Member, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167