Rich Freeman on 7 Nov 2017 07:45:52 -0800

Re: [PLUG] small business server virtualization?

On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 7:39 AM, Lee H. Marzke <lee@marzke.net> wrote:

> All the hype of switching to cloud as a no-brainer is just misdirected,  it has to be
> though out like any engineering problem.

Really the last paragraph of this is the TL;DR:

>> It sounds to me that Netflix identified the one component of their
>> design that has the largest opportunity for savings and decided to
>> optimize it.  That is a good overall strategy for anybody using AWS.
>> Use them to get up and running quickly.  Optimize later.  But
>> definitely keep in mind the caveats Lee pointed out - they're designed
>> around the new model where hardware isn't intended to be perfect.  You
>> can't just migrate an application from a mainframe to AWS and expect
>> no issues without a redesign.

If somebody has thought through the issues and understand the pros and
cons, they're probably going to make the right decision.  When they go
with "what everybody else uses" there is a good chance they might find
they're not the same as everybody else, and they might not use the
technology correctly anyway.

--
Rich