Rich Freeman on 19 Nov 2017 11:08:46 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Copying files from unbootable machine

On Sun, Nov 19, 2017 at 1:58 PM, Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:

> Seriously, if these journal files are really files then you can copy
> them off to a working machine.

You can.  The same is true of text files.  But, would you want to use
a rescue image that couldn't read text files, simply because you could
copy them off to another system, edit them, and copy them back?  If
you're troubleshooting being able to read logs is useful.

>> Back when you were limited to 600MB to fit on a CD a minimal rescue
>> distro made a lot more sense than today when a 64GB USB3 flash drive
>> is pretty cheap.
>
> System Rescue CD has other benefits:
>
> * It runs on just about any X86 hardware.
> * It has all sorts of hardware testers.
> * It has the ddrescue program: A lifesaver when part of a file is on
>   bad blocks.
> * It's easy to get networking, so that you can sshmount a drive and
>   send all the data out the network device.

I'm pretty sure the same is true of just about every distro live CD
I've ever used.  Some might not have ddrescue pre-installed but that
is literally one command and a few seconds away.  And I can't imagine
that system rescue CD is as well-tested as the Ubuntu live CD.

--
Rich