Rich Freeman on 19 Dec 2017 10:48:58 -0800

Re: [PLUG] New Comcast wireless modem with old Buffalo wireless router

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 6:38 PM, Lee H. Marzke <lee@marzke.net> wrote:

> If your FIOS ONT unit has an Ethernet jack, then it is acting as a bridge and it is
> a regular Ethernet connection to Verizon so no special requirements exist.

I believe the ONT itself is always just a bridge.  However, if you
aren't using the ethernet jack then you're using a FIOS router in
addition to the ONT, and it is the router that needs to be configured
as a bridge.

It is definitely a lot easier to just use the ethernet jack.  Note
that you can't do this if you have any set top boxes for video as this
will cause some of the set top box features to stop working, like
guide info, and probably video on demand.  Those set top boxes are
actually using TCP over the coax to the router to communicate with
Verizon.

--
Rich