Rich Mingin (PLUG) on 16 Apr 2018 14:23:59 -0700

Re: [PLUG] POSSIBLE TALK

If you had any questions about SFL, feel free to shoot them my way. I use SFL to run several distributions on multiple machines on a daily basis. The hard reality is that there are plenty of applications in daily use where Linux is second best or not even competing (for a few, not trying to start a sidebar conversation, HiDPI screen support is still hit and miss, switchable graphics is still a dirty word in Linux land, and commercial software is still second-class, using wine or virtualization for unsupported apps). There’s progress, and no reason to give up the fight, but there can be valid reasons to run Windows. Beyond the technical discussion, what if your workplace requires Windows? It’s all well to declare that you would rather die than use Windows, but are you seriously going to endorse that statement? It comes across more Don Quixote than Che Guevara. I might have said it myself years ago, but these days the starving wife+children give me pause about launching Holy Crusades.

That set aside, SFL is actually intended for guys like you and me, not for the great unwashed masses of Facebook. If having real, working traceroute/ping/dig/ssh sounds nice, you are the target market. If you ask what those are, this is a toy for you, at best. The intention from MS is to get guys like me to use SFL instead of dual booting, and personally, I find it works really well. It certainly makes a fine replacement for PuTTY/MobaXTerm. Again, if you have any technical questions about how SFL works, hit me. I can probably tell you anything you want to know. It’s actually a really clever tool, *if* you are running Windows 10 and the idea of a slim and light CLI-only Linux install sounds attractive.