Walt Mankowski on 16 Apr 2018 14:35:23 -0700

Re: [PLUG] POSSIBLE TALK

On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 09:23:41PM +0000, Rich Mingin (PLUG) wrote:
> If you had any questions about SFL, feel free to shoot them my way. I use
> SFL to run several distributions on multiple machines on a daily basis. The
> hard reality is that there are plenty of applications in daily use where
> Linux is second best or not even competing (for a few, not trying to start
> a sidebar conversation, HiDPI screen support is still hit and miss,
> switchable graphics is still a dirty word in Linux land, and commercial
> software is still second-class, using wine or virtualization for
> unsupported apps). There’s progress, and no reason to give up the fight,
> but there can be valid reasons to run Windows. Beyond the technical
> discussion, what if your workplace requires Windows? It’s all well to
> declare that you would rather die than use Windows, but are you seriously
> going to endorse that statement? It comes across more Don Quixote than Che
> Guevara. I might have said it myself years ago, but these days the starving
> wife+children give me pause about launching Holy Crusades.

At my lab at Drexel we were doing cutting edge graphics work. We
needed support for the latest top-of-the-line Nvidia cards, and we had
grad students with experience writing directx code. Obviously we were
kind of a special case, but Windows was definitely the best choice for
our work.

I'll also add that if you haven't used Windows since the days of XP,
it's come a long way. Microsoft faces a lot of competition from Linux
on the server end and Apple on the ease of use end. Windows 10 ain't
half bad.

> That set aside, SFL is actually intended for guys like you and me, not for
> the great unwashed masses of Facebook. If having real, working
> traceroute/ping/dig/ssh sounds nice, you are the target market. If you ask
> what those are, this is a toy for you, at best. The intention from MS is to
> get guys like me to use SFL instead of dual booting, and personally, I find
> it works really well. It certainly makes a fine replacement for
> PuTTY/MobaXTerm. Again, if you have any technical questions about how SFL
> works, hit me. I can probably tell you anything you want to know. It’s
> actually a really clever tool, *if* you are running Windows 10 and the idea
> of a slim and light CLI-only Linux install sounds attractive.

That's what I was using it for too. There are some things I like
better in cygwin, especially with drive mapping. But SFL uses apt so if
you use debian or ubuntu it will feel pretty natural to you.

Walt