Rich Freeman on 25 May 2018 06:20:25 -0700

Re: [PLUG] groan

On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 8:56 AM LeRoy Cressy <rev.cressy@protonmail.com>
wrote:

> The NSA has a huge computer in Utah storing everything you Say, Do, and
Go.  They know where you are at at all times, what you are doing, and etc.

If your threat model is the NSA you might as well give up now unless you're
willing to put a LOT of effort into evading them.  Not that you'll need to,
since their model is basically siphoning a little bit of everything to
figure out who they need a lot of data for.

The problem is that even if you don't have a smart TV, all your friends do,
so if the NSA is listening in they get to hear your friends talking about
you.  Add in Facebook/SMS, and for that matter basically all the internet
traffic there is, and a lot of off-internet private line traffic for the
major cloud providers, and any cooperative data feeds they get...

If the NSA decides they care about you in particular then you have to deal
with much more sophisticated attacks (zero days, hardware/firmware-level
attacks, physical attacks, RF attacks, interception of mail/etc).
Obviously they're picky about who they can spend that kind of time on,
which is why they skim for more accessible data.

Unless you have no friends/family/acquaintances you can't really stop the
skimming.  And if you are really that isolated then you probably stand out
even more (just run a query of all the living people that the NSA doesn't
have a ton of data on - it is probably an interesting and small group).

Personally I'm more concerned with identity theft/etc.  I don't care if the
NSA can break bitlocker/etc.  I care that if I lose my laptop somebody
isn't stealing all my cookies and credit card numbers.

--
Rich