Steve Litt on 5 Aug 2018 18:38:53 -0700

Re: [PLUG] LINUX ADMIN ADVICE

On Fri, 3 Aug 2018 18:32:36 -0400
Rich Freeman <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 2:27 PM Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Observe the following runit run script:

> > #!/bin/sh
> > if network_up; then
> >   exec thedaemon --forground
> > fi
> > sleep 1
> >

> Wow, that is equivalent to 1 line in a service unit (or more likely
> about 15 characters more on an existing line), except that for systemd
> that unit would also start the service on boot,

The preceding run script *does* start the service on boot.

> and also shut down the
> daemon when the network is down.

In other words, for a service that depends on a functional network, yet
doesn't abort on network timeout, but would cause problems by not
aborting, you need this feature. That's a corner case, to say the
least. But OK, I could build the polling solution to this problem in an
afternoon. The interrupt solution would take me longer, but I'm pretty
sure it's easily doable.

> No need to sleep at the end
> either...

True. I can remove the sleep, but I didn't want retries to happen too
quickly, so I put the sleep. The sleep costs nothing.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key