Adam Schaible on 21 Apr 2019 07:50:48 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Memory Problem on New Build

Hi Casey -

I have two Ryzen boxes at home and while they're extremely powerful I did run into a fair number of build/setup problems up front, and not just with hardware, but kernel support too. However instead of griping (more) about my issues let's focus on yours. In order:

1) The 8-pin CPU power connector alone should be enough. Don't worry about the extra 4-pin, this connector is for "pro overclockers" who need even more juice. So you should be good there.

2) Is your Ballistix RAM "RGB type" with rainbow color LED lighting built in? Multiple reviews indicate this board has multiple problems with RAM of that type. Do you have even a single stick of slower DDR4 you can "borrow" from some place else just for testing? Regardless of that I would still recommend, long term, returning that RAM and buying something off ASRock's recommended list.

3) If your Ryzen is incompatible with the motherboard BIOS it won't even POST (power on self-test). The very fact that you see error code b0 indicates that POST is running, it's just failing. If you *didn't* see that error code you would have had to do a BIOS upgrade (possibly even involving a CPU swap, like I had to). That being said it's not a bad idea to do a BIOS upgrade at some point, ASRock tends to be a bit more "aggressive" with pushing product out as quickly as possible and then tweaking it later on because of the demands of their core customer base. There is yet another generation of Ryzens coming out later this year (AMD is really on a roll these days!) and they will almost certainly require BIOS upgrades to boot up.

Good luck and let us know how it goes -

--
  Adam Schaible
  plug@schibes.com