Soren Harward via plug on 17 Sep 2019 20:01:38 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Richard M. Stallman resigns

On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 7:20 PM Eric S. Raymond via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
> Christine via plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>:
> > There are a lot of good "think pieces" out there now shedding light on how
> > he has always been really toxic and made free software less accessible to
> > minority folks.
>
> That is nonsense.
>
> I've known RMS since 1979. Not only doesn't he have a bigoted bone in
> his body, he doesn't even have a bigoted *atom* in his body.  He considers
> details like skin color, sexual orientation, etc, pretty much irrelevant to
> anything important about people.

"The most important thing you've got to do [when pointing out racism —
but applies to any other type of discrimination] is remember the
difference between the 'what they did' conversation and the 'what they
are' conversation.  Those are two totally different conversations and
you need to make sure you pick the right one.  The 'what they did'
conversation focuses strictly on the person's words and actions, and
explaining why what they did and what they said was unacceptable. ...
The 'what they are' conversation is a rhetorical Bermuda Triangle
where everything drowns in a sea of empty posturing until somebody
just blames the whole thing on hip-hop and we forget the whole thing
ever happened.  Don't let this happen to you." — Jay Smooth
(https://youtu.be/b0Ti-gkJiXc)