Steve Litt via plug on 19 Sep 2019 05:35:23 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Richard M. Stallman resigns

On Tue, 17 Sep 2019 23:01:22 -0400
Soren Harward via plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 7:20 PM Eric S. Raymond via plug
> <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
> > Christine via plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>:
> > > There are a lot of good "think pieces" out there now shedding
> > > light on how he has always been really toxic and made free
> > > software less accessible to minority folks.
> >
> > That is nonsense.
> >
> > I've known RMS since 1979. Not only doesn't he have a bigoted bone
> > in his body, he doesn't even have a bigoted *atom* in his body.  He
> > considers details like skin color, sexual orientation, etc, pretty
> > much irrelevant to anything important about people.
>
> "The most important thing you've got to do [when pointing out racism —
> but applies to any other type of discrimination] is remember the
> difference between the 'what they did' conversation and the 'what they
> are' conversation.  Those are two totally different conversations and
> you need to make sure you pick the right one.  The 'what they did'
> conversation focuses strictly on the person's words and actions, and
> explaining why what they did and what they said was unacceptable. ...
> The 'what they are' conversation is a rhetorical Bermuda Triangle
> where everything drowns in a sea of empty posturing until somebody
> just blames the whole thing on hip-hop and we forget the whole thing
> ever happened.  Don't let this happen to you." — Jay Smooth
> (https://youtu.be/b0Ti-gkJiXc)

That     is     brilliant     !

And the next time somebody calls me an SJW, I'm going to point them at
that video, and then ask exactly what I said that got them pissed off.

NOTE: The above sentence has absolutely nothing to do with my feelings
on the RMS situation. There's way too much about that situation I know
nothing about, so I won't draw a conclusion.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key