Eric H. Johnson via plug on 5 Apr 2020 06:44:03 -0700

[PLUG] Dual booting Linux and Windows

All,

Just got a new laptop. Don’t usually use Acer, but the Acer Aspire 5 came top rated for use with Linux. It also came with a 1TB SSD which makes it nice for dual boot, however I am having difficulty doing that. The existing OS is Windows 10 Pro.

I modified the BIOS to boot the thumb drive with Ubuntu Linux 18.04 LTS, and disabled secure boot. However running the Ubuntu install does not seem to see the hard drive and wants to install to the thumb drive, which it cannot since it is too small. Under the security tab there are other secure boot settings, but can only be accessed if secure boot is enabled. These settings include:

Secure boot mode: currently set to standard

Select an UEFI file as trusted

Note: A security password must be set to access the security and boot settings.

Anyone know the necessary settings to get Ubuntu to install for dual boot?

Thanks,

Eric