Keith C. Perry via plug on 15 Apr 2020 07:50:58 -0700

Re: [PLUG] very large laptop

+10 on this...

I have an old HP DV7 17" lappie that used to be my primary and when I go pull it out, I'm immediately reminded that this unit really can't operate without a cooling plate.  The one I have in the bag with it and is either broken or I have to make a new power cable but that said, worse case scenario I only use it on a flat surface where I can elevate the back and make sure nothing is near the fan exhaust.

Just to give you an idea of how hot is gets...  you would NOT even be able to hold your hand 4" away from the exhaust for more than 20 seconds.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Managing Member, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167
www.daotechnologies.com

----- Original Message -----
From: "Fred Stluka via plug" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
To: "jeff" <jeffv@op.net>
Cc: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 9:57:12 PM
Subject: Re: [PLUG] very large laptop

Jeff,

Have you considered an inexpensive cooling pad to sit it on?  Like
a thick mouse pad, but big enough for the entire laptop to sit on.
Blows air up at the bottom of the laptop.  Worked wonders for an
old 17-inch HP laptop my wife had years ago.  The laptop was
built cheap, I think, with no attention to heat.  Had a non-laptop
CPU or something even.  Always overheated.  The pad solved it.
Might still be lying around here somewhere, though I suspect its
long gone.  See:
- http://google.com/search?q=laptop+cooling+pad

--Fred
Fred Stluka