Thomas Delrue via plug on 24 Jul 2020 07:36:23 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Puzzling openssh problem

Any 127.0.0.0/8 address is a loopback address
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reserved_IP_addresses

You don't need an entry in your hosts file for it to go to your localhost...

Try this (or any variant of 127.0.0.0/8):

$ ping 127.123.234.12

It's actually a very useful mechanism because it lets you bind services
to specific addresses (think Postgres' listen_address).