Rich Freeman via plug on 11 Aug 2020 14:54:25 -0700

Re: [PLUG] news

On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 4:39 PM Charlie Li via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> Rich Freeman via plug wrote:
> > I'm talking about everybody on this list who lives in the USA, where
> > nobody blocks SSL.
> >
> > Look, if you want you can come up with a bazillion edge cases where it
> > doesn't make sense to use SSL, that altogether account for 0.1% of the
> > traffic most of us deal with.  If you want I can join in.  It doesn't
> > change my point.
> >
> Edge cases are not really edge cases. There are certain North American
> ISPs who would love to (and in at least one case, already have) pull
> some shady shit, but especially on HTTPS.

Well, they're not going to block https since they'd break half the
internet.  They could play certificate games and MITM things.
However:

1.  You're still protected from passive evesdropping by parties OTHER
than your ISP.  MITM requires an active attack, which is a constraint
on an attacker - a significant one since it increases their risk of
detection and gives you a chance of detecting it yourself.
2.  As I've already said, I'm hardly a fan of x.509 as it is
implemented today.  It is just less worse than not using it at all.

I'm not saying browser SSL is the final word in security.  I just
think it is a better default starting point than unencrypted http.

--
Rich