JP Vossen via plug on 20 Sep 2020 12:20:11 -0700

[PLUG] DESQview (was ... Byobu)

On 9/19/20 9:36 PM, Steve Litt via plug wrote:
By the way, just from the man page, byobu reminds me of DESQview from
Quarterdeck. I got a tour of the Quarterdeck headquarters once.

DESQview was awesome (+ QEMM).  I had that running on a Pentium II circa 1991 with 3-4 things in it:
	1. Terminal (well...DOS prompt...well, 4DOS prompt)
	2. A shareware contact manager (I forget the name)
	3. Lotus123 (I think, for a parts spreadsheet IIRC)
	4. An editor or maybe WordStar, I forget

Since the contact maanger didn't expect to be running multi-tasked, it used to corrupt its DB quite often, so I had some script that made frequent copies.

Sigh, OK, I went down the rabbit hole looking for the batch files that ran that stuff.  I didn't find them, but I did find an "about me" from that time (1991-1992) in a _PC Buyers Guide_ I wrote (pretty sure in Wordstar, and I can't find a good converter for that, but `less` is good enough):
	"JP Vossen has been involved with Personal Computers for almost 10 years.  He has a degree in Information Science from the University of Pittsburgh.  He has worked on 8088 IBM XT clones, IBM AT's, Atari 800's, Zenith laptops, DEC Vax's under VMS and Ultrix-32 (UNIX), Macintosh Plus', Mac SE's, Mac Classics, Mac II's, and 80386 SX's.  He currently runs the PC Support department of a multi-million dollar catalog sales company."  How scary is that?

Later,
JP