Keith via plug on 23 Oct 2020 12:21:36 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Linux mount of Windows share keeps dropping

On 10/23/20 5:22 AM, Michael Lazin via plug wrote:
This will lead me to question if you are connecting to a Windows server that is not properly patched.  You should be able to use an up to date smb version with an up to date windows server.  I know that many departments have requirements for old systems, but I have seen worms travel over smb 1.0 in the past.  I would actually recommend having a discussion with your Windows admin about this.

Thanks,

Michael Lazin

to gar auto estin noein te kai ennai

I meant to mention this too.  If I recall correctly, the minimum version in Samba now defaults to protocol 2.1 since under that level has some rather nasty structural issues.  If 1.0 is needed there is something rather serious going on.  Hopefully that is the root cause of the timeout issue and hopefully they fix it.

On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 6:33 PM Walt Mankowski via plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 05:42:23PM -0400, Michael Lazin via plug wrote:
> I can tell from this command line that you are telling it to use SMB v 1.0
> which is deprecated.   A properly patched windows system probably wouldn't
> accept that connection.  This article will give you an idea of the syntax
> you need.
>
> https://superuser.com/questions/1297724/linux-force-default-mount-cifs-version-to-3-0

Oh, I totally agree. The only reason I added "vers=1.0" is because if
I leave it off, or change it to any other value listed in
mount.cifs(8), it doesn't work. I get a "stale file handle" error
every time I try to open a file on the share.

Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Managing Member, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167