Keith via plug on 26 Oct 2020 14:30:45 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Mesh WiFi

On 10/26/20 4:21 PM, Rich Freeman via plug wrote:
On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 4:07 PM Chad Waters via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
The support forums are full of complainers. Take everything you read there with a grain of salt.

To be fair the UDM itself is a bit beta (it isn't on the regular store
I think - you need to opt in to "test" it).  I've heard the latest
controller firmware has some issues with certain features I don't use.
Their QA isn't spectacular.

Like I said, if you're trying to run a company with thousands of users
it might not be the right fit.  For your home, though, it should be
fine.  For a small office as well.  Very close to plug/play for that
sort of deployment, and you can just have all the APs you need and
they'll all "do the right thing."

I would disagree with that point.  The biggest issue in wifi design is that people unfamiliar with it don't use enough devices.  Doesn't matter if it is Unifi, Cisco, Buffalo because physics doesn't care about vendors.  More devices running at lower power, its really that simple as a high level.

Where Unifi shines is that once you start getting into multiple devices.  Direct management consumer units like Buffalo's or anything running the DD-WRT and Tomato firmwares we love become a major management task for simple things.  Unifi gives you a console like other manufacturers so that doing a firmware upgrade, changing an SSID or radio parameter on 3 devices is mostly the same tasking for 30 devices.

Also, saying "thousands of users" is not really that clear.  I can have thousands of users simply joined to the network because their device remembers a previous connection or I could have 1000 users simultaneously contending for access.  Now, are those 1000 nodes sending or receiving?  Is it both- what's the nature of the data flow?  Symmetric, asymmetric... is that from the internet or a local server?  Wifi deployments are one of those things where we can legitimately say "its complicated" but you could have 10 nodes stress a network far more than 1000 nodes depending on how that network was built and how it is being used.

Unifi's product breadth, multiple ways of addressing individual needs and needs that evolve (i.e. protecting previous investment) are another thing that makes it a good choice from a total cost of ownership point of view as well.

--
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.