Michael Lazin via plug on 27 Oct 2020 05:54:27 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Mesh WiFi

I am not using the mesh features, but I bought the dream machine for its NIP, it's network intrusion prevention system.  If you run the ubiquity with the network intrusion prevention system in place I found that it will slow down your network considerably.  I just wanted to throw this into the ring as a point of consdideration; I am extremely happy with the hardware but you have to make speed vs security decisions and it is something to consider.

Thanks,

Michael Lazin

to gar auto estin noein te kai ennai

On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 5:30 PM Keith via plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
On 10/26/20 4:21 PM, Rich Freeman via plug wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 4:07 PM Chad Waters via plug
> <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
>> The support forums are full of complainers. Take everything you read there with a grain of salt.
>>
> To be fair the UDM itself is a bit beta (it isn't on the regular store
> I think - you need to opt in to "test" it).  I've heard the latest
> controller firmware has some issues with certain features I don't use.
> Their QA isn't spectacular.
>
> Like I said, if you're trying to run a company with thousands of users
> it might not be the right fit.  For your home, though, it should be
> fine.  For a small office as well.  Very close to plug/play for that
> sort of deployment, and you can just have all the APs you need and
> they'll all "do the right thing."

I would disagree with that point.  The biggest issue in wifi design is
that people unfamiliar with it don't use enough devices.  Doesn't matter
if it is Unifi, Cisco, Buffalo because physics doesn't care about
vendors.  More devices running at lower power, its really that simple as
a high level.

Where Unifi shines is that once you start getting into multiple
devices.  Direct management consumer units like Buffalo's or anything
running the DD-WRT and Tomato firmwares we love become a major
management task for simple things.  Unifi gives you a console like other
manufacturers so that doing a firmware upgrade, changing an SSID or
radio parameter on 3 devices is mostly the same tasking for 30 devices.

Also, saying "thousands of users" is not really that clear.  I can have
thousands of users simply joined to the network because their device
remembers a previous connection or I could have 1000 users
simultaneously contending for access.  Now, are those 1000 nodes sending
or receiving?  Is it both- what's the nature of the data flow?
Symmetric, asymmetric... is that from the internet or a local server?
Wifi deployments are one of those things where we can legitimately say
"its complicated" but you could have 10 nodes stress a network far more
than 1000 nodes depending on how that network was built and how it is
being used.

Unifi's product breadth, multiple ways of addressing individual needs
and needs that evolve (i.e. protecting previous investment) are another
thing that makes it a good choice from a total cost of ownership point
of view as well.

--
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.