Rich Freeman via plug on 27 Oct 2020 07:01:25 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Mesh WiFi

On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 8:54 AM Michael Lazin via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> I am not using the mesh features, but I bought the dream machine for its NIP, it's network intrusion prevention system.  If you run the ubiquity with the network intrusion prevention system in place I found that it will slow down your network considerably.  I just wanted to throw this into the ring as a point of consdideration; I am extremely happy with the hardware but you have to make speed vs security decisions and it is something to consider.

If you think the UDM is bad with this feature turned on, you should
try the baseline USG.  You'll be lucky to get a DSL line going full
speed through it.  Without that and one or two features enabled it can
do gigabit (haven't tried that personally, but 50Mbps uses something
like 1% CPU).  However, the IPS features require software routing and
the hardware just isn't up to that.  I heard the dream machine was
supposed to be ok, but it sounds like you're finding otherwise.

Really they should have a big disclaimer on that feature.  If IPS is
important then I'd check reviews on any of the UniFi gear.  Maybe some
of it is ok with some caveats.  Definitely not the cheap stuff though.

--
Rich

--
Rich