Rich Freeman via plug on 15 Jan 2021 11:00:10 -0800

Re: [PLUG] car tracking

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 12:53 PM jeffv via plug
<plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:

> brief research shows disabling the car's GPS should do it. Remember that
> you still have your cell phone and possibly handheld GPS unit, so you're
> not shutting those off.

If you're worried about somebody tracking your car, and not worried
about somebody tracking your phone, then I'm kind of curious what your
threat model is.

I mean, if you want to do the RMS thing and either not use a cell
phone at all or use something made in 1995, I could kind of get
that...

I think you need to consider your threat model in general.  If you're
worried about the NSA following you around everywhere you should just
stop worrying - they are going to follow you around everywhere no
matter how much tin foil you apply to your car...  If your threat
model is such that you're worried about somebody at Ford but not
worried about somebody at Verizon, well, I guess this could work.

Now please excuse me while I go install the software update my car
just downloaded...

--
Rich